So I tried both the Apps that were mentioned in the Mindfulness Explained episode, that I talked about last week. Right from the start, I think I prefer Calm over the Headspace App. They are both are very similar and yet very different. When you start out, they make you answer a few short questions about your experience with mindfulness and mediation, and  what you hope to get out of it; reduced stress, reduced anxiety, better focus, better mood.  Then it gives you a 7 day program to progress through where each day you listen to a new recorded mindfulness exercise. I think the questions at the start do actually make it specific to you, because I selected no experience, and my exercises ended up being short and very easy.

I was skeptical about trying this, but I actually really enjoyed both experiences and felt much more calm after. My body felt lighter and weirdly cool too. As if my body and circulation slowed down enough to feel noticeably cooler. In terms of “wiredness”, ten minutes was like having one less coffee. Which make a difference when you are a student. I felt much better about rest of the school work I had to get done. I’m looking forward to trying in again tomorrow.

You have the option of selecting a male or female voice with both Apps, but I found the voices on Headspace less comforting. Both the sound of their voices, and the fact that they talked a little bit too much.  The Calm App’s voice was a lot less distracting. They both come with free trails for the first month, but then ask for your money. Calm is $89 a year, and Headspace is about the same but comes as a monthly subscription fee.